Sunday, May 31, 2015

Welcome to the world, Eleana Grace!

She is finally here!!  I went to see Dr. Blair for my 39 week check up on Tuesday May 26th.  He was surprised that I had not made any progress from the week before.  Still 3-4 cm and about 75-80% effaced.  He asked me, "how does this week sound?  Want to have a baby?"  I quickly agreed and after checking out his schedule, we agreed on Thursday for induction.  This was it, May 28th, our baby girl would be here!  
Mom and dad took Jonathan Wednesday afternoon and I was left to prepare for this little girl's arrival.  Of course, the reality was sinking in.  We went to dinner at Houlihan's that night.  Just Steve and I, our last dinner as parents of one!  We both got to bed early, but I was awakened about 2am with a horrible headache.  Unfortunately the headache lasted all night, and that was the last of my sleep.  I woke Steve up about 4:45am and we checked into the hospital at 6am.  They had me up and in my room and Dr. Blair broke my bag at 7am.  I should have known we were in for the long haul.  When they broke my bag with Jonathan, I remember a very definite "gush" of water.  With Eleana, there was a slight trickle, and Dr. Blair said she had a "fore bag".  Almost like a double bag.  This girl really didn't want to make this easy.  So we hung out for the next 2 hours.  I wasn't having any contractions and I think Steve dozed off on the couch for awhile.  By 9am, the Pitocin was started, and the contractions were coming a little more regularly, but still not too aggressive.  They checked me about 11am and I had progressed to 5cm.  They convinced me to go ahead and get the epidural because withe the Pitocin, things could progress quickly.  Well, they still didn't.  The contractions were not coming in any pattern and were not progressing so they increased the medication.  Now the contractions were coming so well, that the nurse was thinking of decreasing the Pitocin and to let my body do the work on its own, but Dr. Blair said to continue on a low dose.  Well, by 1:30, I had progressed to 9cm and was "almost fully" effaced except for a small area that had not fully thinned.  The nurse started to get things ready and her and another nurse hurried about the room preparing the table, the medical equipment, and having Dr. Blair on stand by.  "Ok, Christina, we are going to start pushing soon!"  This was it.  Everyone kept telling me that since this was my second the delivery should go much faster....WRONG!  We started pushing at 2:11pm.  After an hour, I had a feeling we were in the same situation as we were with Jonathan.  She was too big for my pelvis.  We tried counter pressure, I was pulling on a sheet.  They even had me lie down on side to see if she would turn into a better position.  Nothing.  I was getting so discouraged, but I had an awesome nurse, Renee, who was so encouraging and cheered me on the whole time.  Not to mention an amazing husband who kept me calm, and kept his cool the whole time.  Around 4:15, Dr. Blair arrived and pulled out the good 'ol vacuumm.  He tried, but still, she would not progress.  Finally, things were getting pretty intense, and in a very uncharacteristic tone, Dr. Blair said, "Christina, I need you to give me everything you have left. One more push, and we need to deliver her NOW!"  I gave it all I had and then one of the nurses climbed onto the bed and pushed down on my stomach to help push her out.  There she was.  Dr. Blair held her up and she was blue.  Something was not right.  They didn't put her on my chest.  They immediately took her over to the other table.  I remember Dr. Blair very calmly say, "get another nurse in here and get her on CPAP."  What the hell was going on.  As they tended to me, I was trying so desperately to see what was going on. I hadn't heard her cry and was totally taken aback when I heard the nurse say, "Apgar 5."  Not good.  Finally, I heard Eleana cry.  She still didn't have good color, but she was crying.  Next, they start talking about shoulder dystocia, and my PT pedi brain went into overload.  Dr. Blair then asked them to check for a broken clavicle.  By this time, I was an emotional wreck.  I was crying uncontrollably, and Steven just kept reassuring me that everything was going to be ok.  I finally heard the nurse say "Apgar 9."  Ok.  It was going to be ok.  Eventually they put her on my chest and I was able to hold her.  She was beautiful.  She was bruised, swollen and had quite a cone head, but she was perfect.  We kept an eye on her shoulder the next 24 hours, but that night when I saw her stretch and reach over head, I knew all was good!  We spent that evening getting settled into our hospital room.  After my family left and it was just Steve and Eleana and I, Steve looked at me and said, "Babe, that shit got scary today!"  You think!  He did such an awesome job of keeping me calm, and reassuring me, but deep down, I now know he was pretty scared too!  But, she is here.  She is beautiful.  She sleeps alot, she is breast feeding VERY WELL and we are working on getting a schedule going.  All, in all, things are good.  I am blessed with 2 amazing children, an awesome husband and a family that can't do anymore but love my two beautiful kids.  Life is good.  God is good!  ...all the time!  :)

The day before she is due!

Big Belly!

checked in!

Eleana Grace

Proud parents

Big Brother

Bubba!

First Brezovay Family of Four photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment